At Foodstuffs we have a long, proud history that dates back to 6 July 1922 when the first Foodstuffs co-operative was formed in Auckland. Foodstuffs founder J Heaton Barker called together members of the Auckland Master Grocers' Association to discuss plans for the formation of a co-operative buying group. This group expanded in 1925 with the introduction of Four Square branding on members' stores.
Similar co-operatives were set up in other parts of the country including Wellington (1922) and Christchurch (1928) and Otago/Southland (1948). Initially the buying groups traded under different names, but in 1935 the name Foodstuffs was adopted by all the original co-operatives.
Since then the organisation has continued to evolve. There have been mergers over the years between the regional co-operatives to form two co-operatives.
The evolution of Foodstuffs has included several key developments which have helped the organisation continue to grow. In 1963 the New World group was formed, and the PAK'nSAVE group began with the opening of the first store in Kaitaia in 1985.
Key moments in Foodstuffs' history:
Today, the New World team, under the close supervision of Xanthe White, got their gardening gloves on and worked with the team at Starship to bring a petunia garden to life at the national children’s hospital.
View all news
COPYRIGHT © FOODSTUFFS NEW ZEALAND